I think I’m going to join inkJam 2018, which starts in about 43 minutes and lasts for 72 hours (i.e., Monday at 12pm). It’s based on a scripting language called ink and has a companion app called inky (both found here) that allows for building branching, story-based games. Or, at least, that’s what I understand so far. I’m still reading about it.
- Never used ink/inky before.
- Never built a story-based game before.
- Never creatively written for the public before.
- I have 40 minutes to figure out what the hell I’m doing.
- I have some actual work to do during the same time period.
Why this might be fun:
- I have a general idea for a story I think lots of people would enjoy.
- It’s been a while since I did any creative writing and could use the practice.
- I think I can make it work.
- If it does work, I learn some new stuff.
- If it doesn’t work, I learn even more (granted, it’s a harsher lesson).
Guess I should get back to doing some research; 34 minutes to go. Wish me luck~
[Edit: Sorry, it’s not “story-based games”, the more accurate term would be “interactive fiction”. 19 minutes.]